Skip to main content

Obliviate

The fact that I chose to knit the aptly-named "Obliviate" pattern right now is kinda perfect.  Its perfect because I feel like someone has cast the Obliviate spell on me lately!  Lack of sleep + hectic life = obliviation.  And I'm inventing words again.

If you've ever read my blog before, you might be aware that I like Harry Potter.  A LOT.  One might say I'm obsessed, and one would not be wrong!  I really love to knit fandom-related things (which will come as another HUGE shock to my readers....HA!), and these mitts have been in my queue forEVER.

This pattern is based on the mitts Hermione wears in the final films, and they are just gorgeous.  Once you become a knitter or crocheter, you can't just watch TV and movies like a normal person anymore.  You suddenly become keenly aware of the knitwear characters are wearing, and suddenly determined to duplicate that knitwear somehow, someway!  I definitely had that immediate reaction with these mitts, because they are just GORGEOUS.  Actually I love all of Hermione's fashion choices in the final couple of films.  I realize fashion is SO not important when you are running from the Snatchers and Death Eaters and You-Know-Who himself, but a girl still has to stay warm, right?

Anyway, I wanted to make these mitts back when the movie first came out.  I think it was around the time Baby #3 was born, and a lot of things got pushed aside, as often happens when babies are born!  I came across this pattern in one of my poorly-organized and bursting-at-the-seams knitting notebooks, and I realized I had the PERFECT yarn for it.  I had to do it!  Now or never!

The yarn, funnily enough, is called "Mad Man with a Box" and is a fandom yarn based on the new Doctor Who series.  I actually debated for days whether or not to use this yarn for these mitts.  Crossing fandoms!?!?!?  Who does that?!?!?  Its like on Ghostbusters when Egon warns Peter NOT to cross the streams!!!!  I'm kidding, of course.  I cross fandoms all the time; that wasn't really the issue.  The issue was, I also have a lot of HP-related yarns, but none of them that were the right weight or color for this particular project.  The DW yarn, however, WAS perfect.  I decided to just go for it, and I'm so glad I did, because they came out perfect!

This pattern is available for free on Ravelry, though I will warn you I personally made a TON of alterations to it.  I didn't want them to be so baggy as to be impractical to wear; same with the length.  So I adjusted my gauge for the length and fit that I wanted.  I also did my own thing on the thumb gusset.  Check out my project page for a full rundown of my notes, if you are so inclined.

And without further ado, the FO!

First, a close-up of the stitch pattern:





The yarn is Mad Man with a Box by See Jayne Knit.  The pattern is Obliviate by Owl in Socks, available on Ravelry.  I used US size 2 and 4 needles (2 for the ribbing and 4 for the main stitch pattern).

Comments

  1. Oh my heck - I am laughing so hard about "not crossing the streams/fandoms"!!!!! :D These mitts are gorgeous - both Hermione and the Doctor would approve! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! After painting a part of the house over the weekend, we had to keep the windows open late into the night for ventilation, and it was FREEZING in here. I wore my Obliviate mitts so I could keep knitting! ;) Priorities!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 54: Summer of Socks

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lovesockwool Podcast
Adelaide Cottage
lovesockwool
Jilly, aka veganjilly
Knitting Pipeline
Kimberly, aka Kimberly3706


Outlander KAL:  co-hosted with Joanna of Stitching the High Notes Podcast
The Stitching Plaza
Pandia's Jewels
Three Thimbles Studio
The Handmakers Bag
Twigs and Twine Yarn Co


MISC:

Lolo Did It
Sweet Kawaii Design (my favorite planner sticker shop!)
Erin Condren Design (get $10 off your first order with this li…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 51: Falling Off the "Wagonses"

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns

Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lo…