Skip to main content

Maleficent


I remember years ago, I knit my first little stuffie.  I was pregnant with my third child at the time, and I wanted to knit a million little dolls and toys for my kids.

Sadly enough, though, I found that I HATED knitting little fiddly things.  It was very disappointing because, again, I had wanted to make my kids all kinds of cool stuff.

Then, a few years later, I learned how to crochet and.... what do you know?  I found out that I don't mind crocheting fiddly things, but for some reason knits and fiddles just don't go well together (ooooh.... that would be a good name for an LYS!  "Knits and Fiddles"!  Sorry, tangent!).  So, yay, my dream of populating the house with crafted stuffies was alive once again!

In the past couple of years, my queue keeps exploding with various crocheted dolls and creatures.  I really enjoy making them, and you'd better believe my kids snatch them out of my hands the very second that last yarn end is woven in! 

We watched Maleficent a few months ago, and I loved the movie SO much.  Every once in awhile a movie comes along that I adore so much I get darn-near obsessed with it, and Maleficent definitely fell into this category!  We've seen it bunches of times since then, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.  I love the beautiful story, and the mother/ daughter bond theme. 

And since all of my fandom obsessions eventually translate themselves into crafting, I HAD to make this Maleficent!  A dear friend of mine inspired me to do it, and also helped me out along the way.  This pattern has many parts and pieces, but that is part of what I love about creating stuffies and dolls and toys.  You get to see them take shape and come to life before your eyes, and its SO cool! 

My favorite part about this doll is the eyes.  My talents do not typically lie in the details; I'm not good with intricate work.  So when I first saw this pattern, I immediately started stressing about the eyes.  I wanted to get the eyebrows right, and I knew if I didn't do a good job with the eyes, I would hate the whole thing no matter how good the rest of it was.

SO!  I really took my time with the eyes.  I went very slowly, watching the picture the entire time, and I am SO SO SO SO SO ecstatic with the results!  I've been knitting for ten years and crocheting for four, and yet this project is easily one of my top-ten-favorite things that I've EVER made.  YAY!!!!






And, because the song from the movie is SOOOOOO incredibly good, I am including it here as well.  Just because.  Its my blog, and I can do what I want!  ;)  Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I still am at a loss for enough words to describe how amazing this is - your crochet/stuffie skills are outstanding, and Malificent's eyes are only one part of the amazingness of this project!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 44: What Would Diana Bishop Drink?

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Voolenvine
Nomadic Yarns
Wooly Wonka …

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 42: Cast It On...Cast It ALL On!

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Brew City Yarns
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Yarn Enabler
The Cozy …