Skip to main content

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Osgood-Inspired Scarf


In early January 2014, I began knitting this scarf.  Whovians will recognize it as the one worn by the awesome character Osgood in the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special.  I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it (as did many DW fans!), and I knew I had to make it!  I prefer the style and the colors to the Tom Baker scarf, so I was really excited to start it.  I knew it would be a bit of a massive undertaking, as it is meant to be really long, there are many color changes, and its knit in 1x1 rib.  So it makes perfect sense that I started it just two days before having a baby, right?

I worked on it here and there, when I could, after our daughter was born, but progress was definitely slow.  As the 1-year mark approached, I knew I wanted to get it finished up.  I wanted to be able to wear it and enjoy it before winter faded away into spring and such a ginormous, heavy scarf would be laughable (and, well, HOT!).  I also didn't want it to languish in my WIP pile any longer.  In my experience, if I don't finish something within one year of starting it, the chances of it getting finished are almost nil.

So I took most of this month to stitch my brains out whenever I could, and I got it done!  Weaving in the ends did not take as long as I thought; I set aside one evening and watched Doctor Who the entire time, and it was done before I knew it.  I am deliriously happy with the finished product.  I could have gone longer (and almost did, but hubby put a stop to the craziness, haha!), but I think the length is perfect.  I didn't want it to be so long that it was completely impractical to wear. 

If you compare the pictures of Osgood's actual scarf to mine, you will see there are a lot of color variations.  I stuck with the main colors featured in her scarf, but arranged them in a different way.  Its not meant to be an exact replica, just a fandom-inspired interpretation!  I am pretty sure Osgood would be pleased!  :)

I received a lot of help from participants in a Doctor Who Ravelry group who hosted a KAL of this scarf back in January 2014.  Many of them sussed out the best yarns and colorways to use for this scarf, as well as pattern ideas, etc.  They helped me a lot in working out what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it, and their input was invaluable. 

This was a really fun knit, I'm so happy that I finished it.  Allon-sy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

  1. This is so awesome - and I hadn't looked at it closely enough to realize that it's 1x1 rib...holy cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are amazing to have undertaken this!!! Beautiful work! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 44: What Would Diana Bishop Drink?

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Voolenvine
Nomadic Yarns
Wooly Wonka …

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 42: Cast It On...Cast It ALL On!

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Brew City Yarns
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Yarn Enabler
The Cozy …