Skip to main content

Crafting Harry Potter Spellbooks and Project Journals

My kids are (finally!) as obsessed with Harry Potter as I am, and I confess to feeding their addiction with fun crafts and toys!

Lately, after receiving new wands, they have been trying to remember the spells featured in the Harry Potter books and films.  I suggested it might be a good idea to keep a spellbook with a list of spells so that they could start to remember them (I also saw this as a great opportunity to have them willingly practice their reading and writing skills!).

A few years ago, I had made myself a really neat project journal out of a simple blank composition book and some simple scrapbook supplies.  This journal ended up being indispensable!  I use it more than I use my daily planner.  In its pages I have planned the births of two of my children, kept lists for gifts (Christmas, birthdays, and other) for the past three years, planned countless menus, and most of all, kept notes on my many ongoing crafty projects!

I am nearing the end of this awesome book that I made back in 2010, and know I am going to need a new one pretty soon.  I was reminded of this fact when I decided to help the kids create "spell books"/ magical journals of their own!

First, the original idea for this and the tutorial I used all those years ago was from Silver RavenWolf's website.  The link to the tutorial is here (this is not the original one she posted back in 2010, but it contains all of the information and is very detailed and clear!).

In the meantime, here are the results for the simple journals we created today! 

For my oldest son, a true Gryffindor, we used a Gryffindor page and pasted it on the cover of the composition book (cutting it to slightly larger size and folding the corners on the inside of the cover).  We then decorated it with a few Harry Potter stickers, and it came out like this:
(Wand not included.... lol!)

For the inside of the front cover, in order to cover up the ugly edges of the folded-in front, I chose a different sheet of HP paper.  This time it gets cut slightly smaller than the cover size itself (use a scrapbook paper cutter for nice, straight edges), and then it gets glued over the inside and folded edges of the front.  We then decorated this with more stickers, and my son wrote his name and house affiliation on one of the stickers.


Since I only had one blank composition book on-hand, for two of my other children, I used spiral notebooks.  You won't get the same cool-looking results, but it actually works better for their age group.  The process for this was even simpler.  This child loves the color green, and the book's cover was green, so he wanted some of that to remain.  I cut a Hogwarts scrapbook page in half, measured it to be slightly smaller than the lower half of the notebook, and glued it on.  Since his house affiliation is also Gryffindor, we put a Gryffindor badge sticker as well as some other decorations that he chose himself.

For my second-to-youngest, a bonafide Slytherin, we again used half of a scrapbook page for the notebook, and placed a Slytherin badge sticker on the top.  He is a big fan of Quidditch, so we chose some Quidditch-related stickers to further decorate, including a bludger, a quaffle, a beater, and a golden snitch.  He also scored a lightning bolt and a Hedwig sticker for his.

My oldest son used the interior of his book to store recipes for various Harry Potter potions.  In this photo you can see where he pasted cards printed with recipes for Strength Tonic, Love Potion, Veritaserum, and Felix Felicis (these were written by a family member at a recent Hogwarts-themed party we went to).


And since this is all started with wanting to learn spells a bit better, I found a comprehensive list of Harry Potter spells online, and printed them out.  We cut out each page and glued them to the pages of his spell book.  If you want to be even more clever, choose a cream-colored sheet of parchment, and perhaps a Harry Potter-esque font!  My other son opted to hand write his own spells, so I wrote out a list of his favorites, and he spent a lot of time copying them word for word.  This was excellent practice for him, as he is in Kindergarten!

Lastly, here's a peek at the book I made myself years ago.  At the time, I had yet to score any awesome Harry Potter scrapbooking supplies, so I just used papers and embellishments that I had on-hand.  It was super simple and the results have been great!  Mine is a bit fancier in that I glued a large, thick piece of brown ribbon down the inside of the back cover.  This works as an excellent bookmark so that I can get to a page I need to reference often.  I also used a heavy-duty hole puncher to punch a hole in the front cover, to which I tied some pretty ribbons that have a charm on the end.  One charm is a frog, one says "Believe", and the third is a key.
I spent a little more time making the interiors of my book fancy, with extra stickers and embellishments, as well as matching scrapbook papers.  Throughout the book, I affixed stickers that I enjoy; some are simply animals, bugs, or flowers, while others have inspirational sayings or words on them. Use whatever calls to you!

My mom created a book for herself called "Crafting Notions," and contains all of her crafting ideas, plans, supply lists, etc.  Another good idea would be to make a gardening journal, a pregnancy journal (I still have one my mom made me for my first pregnancy; its a beautiful keepsake!), a crafting journal (knitting, crochet, scrapbook, etc., where you can keep track of supplies, techniques, ideas, measurements, plans, gift lists, etc.), a cooking/ recipe journal, a gratitude journal, a personal journal..... as you can see, the possibilities are ENDLESS!  I have plans to make one for Reiki treatments and intuitive readings.... a spiritual journal, so to speak.

I love this project because it is so versatile, but also fun and simple to make.  Enjoy!

Here is the original tutorial written by Silver RavenWolf, which can be found at this link!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 54: Summer of Socks

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lovesockwool Podcast
Adelaide Cottage
lovesockwool
Jilly, aka veganjilly
Knitting Pipeline
Kimberly, aka Kimberly3706


Outlander KAL:  co-hosted with Joanna of Stitching the High Notes Podcast
The Stitching Plaza
Pandia's Jewels
Three Thimbles Studio
The Handmakers Bag
Twigs and Twine Yarn Co


MISC:

Lolo Did It
Sweet Kawaii Design (my favorite planner sticker shop!)
Erin Condren Design (get $10 off your first order with this li…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 51: Falling Off the "Wagonses"

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns

Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lo…