Skip to main content

Claire Beauchamp's Herbal Gauntlets (Outlander Inspired)

Like most of the world right now, I have Outlander fever.  And I'm sure its abundantly apparent at this point that my crafting life tends to reflect my fandom life.... I love to create things associated with the fandoms I love!

So, to celebrate one of my all-time favorite book series come to life on the small screen, I participated in a KAL/ CAL for fingerless mitts that (hopefully) resemble one of the pairs Claire's character wears.
I am desperately hoping that a book or magazine of Outlander-inspired knits is in the works somewhere, because this show has some seriously drool-worthy knitwear in it!  I really don't know what I find more distracting:  Jamie in his kilt, or Claire's gorgeous knit gauntlets, capelets, shawls, and cowls?  Hmmmmm..... hard to determine for sure!
In any case, my queue is virtually exploding with Outlander-ish things that I simply must create.  I think my next attempt will be Claire's fabulous cowl.... its so pretty!  I may just improvise on this one, as it appears to be nothing more than bulky yarn and a very simple stitch.

But.... I digress!!!!  Its so hard to stay focused when there is so much gorgeous knitwear to be had!

Back to the gauntlets!
Here are mine.  I chose a pattern that a friend of mine found, and I just loved it.  Obviously it is not the exact pattern of the ones she wore, but I would consider them an interpretation of something I could totally see Claire wearing.  For one thing, I adore cables.  I love cabling, and I love the LOOK of cables.  Cables are knitting magic.  Cables are awesome.  This pair of gauntlets has some fabulous cabling, to be sure.  I chose the yarn because it seemed, again, like something I could see Claire wearing.  Much of her wardrobe is centered around natural earth tones (like greens and browns), and with her affection for plants and the herbal world, I liked the earthy color of this yarn (see more specific yarn info below).


Here is a close-up of the gorgeous cables:

A kinda crazy photo, courtesy of the iPhone flash:

And lastly, just for fun and so you can see what a nerd I am (as if you needed any more proof than the very existence of this blog...haha!), I had to include this picture!  I love to coordinate my projects with matching stitch markers and project bags.  They have to complement the overall theme of the project, and the fandom character (if there is one) that is being represented.  In this case, I chose a project bag that has pictures of flowers and herbs on it.  It also has a lot of green and brown shades, which again match with the yarn and I feel are Claire's signature colors.  As for the stitch marker.... a TARDIS?!?!?!  Okay, well, allow me some poetic license here!  Fandom crossovers are awesome.  And in this case, I have yet to acquire Outlander-specific stitch markers (although I'm sure that will be remedied in the future!).  A TARDIS seemed fitting to me, because of the whole time travel aspect.  That, and, am I the only one who thinks Claire would have been a fabulous companion?!?!




PROJECT DETAILS:

Pattern:  Vancouver Fog by Jen Balfour

Yarn:  Knit Picks Swish Tonal in Kindling

Needles:  A very old set of Brittany birch DPNs, size US 7

Stitch Marker:  TARDIS from the fandom crossover stitch kit, Slipped Stitch Studios

Project Bag:  Small clutch in Herbal, by madbird

TV/ Audiobook accompaniment:  OUTLANDER of course!!!!!  I finished listening to the audio version of Outlander and began the audio of "Dragonfly in Amber" whilst knitting these.  I also was lucky enough to watch the series as I completed these gauntlets!  :)

Crafting Dates:  October 6 -12, 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 44: What Would Diana Bishop Drink?

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Voolenvine
Nomadic Yarns
Wooly Wonka …

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 42: Cast It On...Cast It ALL On!

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Brew City Yarns
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Yarn Enabler
The Cozy …