Skip to main content

Yule Stocking... My Last One?

Back when I was pregnant with my first child, I started knitting a Christmas stocking.  It was early in my knitting career, and I took the Christmas stocking class because I wanted to learn Fair Isle.  I did, and it was so much fun, but then the baby was born and the unfinished stocking got set aside... for a long time!

It wasn't until I was pregnant with baby #2 that I decided I wanted to finish the stocking, and also make stockings for myself and my husband.  (Sidenote:  I knit like crazy when I'm pregnant!!!!!).  I finished the first stocking, motored through the next one (for my soon-to-be-born second child), and then knit stockings for myself and my husband.

In 2010, I was pregnant with baby #3, and he was born in August of that year.  As soon as he was born and we had his name confirmed, I got to knitting his stocking and had it done in plenty of time for Christmas.  I love that each family member has a similar handmade stocking, and it has become a fun family heirloom for everyone.

So when I found out I was pregnant with baby #4 in the spring of 2013, one of the first projects I planned was the Yule stocking--even before I knew if we were having a girl or a boy!  It took me awhile, but once we knew we were having a girl and had selected the name, I planned out the Fair Isle motifs I wanted to use and chose the yarn colors.  I even purchased them before she was born, and since my due date was so close to Christmas 2013, I intended to knit the stocking while I was still pregnant... just in case she came early!

Well, I didn't get to it.  It was a crazy time of year dealing with the holiday AND getting ready for a new baby, so the project got pushed to the back burner.  No worries though, because she was not early... she was a wee bit late, as it turns out!

Time has been flying since her birth.  I can't believe just how fast.  It feels like I was just pregnant yesterday, and yet here we are on the verge of her 6-month mark!  Crazy!  So because time is flying by at lightning speed, I really wanted to get her stocking done in plenty of time for Christmas this year.  (In case you haven't noticed from previous blog posts, this year my knitting is all geared towards preventing last minute knitterly chaos come holiday time!!!).

I finished this towards the end of June, and I am SO in love with it!  I chose the yarn colors based around one that is called "Blackberry".... blackberries are sacred to the Goddess Brighid, for whom my daughter is named.  I also wanted to pick colors that were different enough from the previous stockings I had made, so that they each had their own unique style.

Here is the finished product:
I am SUPER happy with how it turned out, and even more excited for Christmas this year!  Finishing this stocking had me thinking, though.... I had thought I was knitting the LAST stocking when I made the one for my third child.  Will this be my last one?  It is definitely one of those bittersweet thoughts!  If it is the last stocking I knit for my kids, I think these would make great gifts for other family members and.... SOMEDAY.... my grandchildren!!!

Here are the project details:

Pattern:  This is a pattern that I was given for the class I took almost 10 years ago at my then LYS... I have not been able to locate this pattern on Ravelry or anywhere else since!  It is called Cascade Christmas Stocking by Marji LaFreniere.  (NOTE:  I deviated from the pattern for the name portion, which I charted myself.)

Needles:  Knit Picks Caspian 16" Circulars, size US 7

Yarn:  Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Worsted Weight; 1 ball each in Cobblestone Heather, Seraphim, Blackberry, and White.


Start Date:  May 21, 2014

Finish Date:  June 25, 2014

Comments

  1. Jill, this is a work of art - Bridget will treasure it always! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 44: What Would Diana Bishop Drink?

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Voolenvine
Nomadic Yarns
Wooly Wonka …

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 42: Cast It On...Cast It ALL On!

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Brew City Yarns
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Yarn Enabler
The Cozy …