Skip to main content

Summer Sunshine.... or Can't Wait for Candy Corns? (July 2014 Socks)

July has been CRAZY!  We have had international visitors, lots of family get-togethers, birthday parties, the 4th of July, appointments and health check-ups and.... oh my oh my.  This is always the busiest month of the summer for us, so while it has been awesome, I'm looking forward to a somewhat more relaxed August! 

Crafting time has been minimal with all the running around, but I managed to finish my July socks and they are gorgeous!  I actually purchased this yarn recently after seeing the manufacturer post a picture on her Instagram feed.  I loved the colors so much, I had to buy it right away.  Normally, when I purchase pretty yarn (with no project in mind), it languishes in my stash for long periods of time.  This one, however, just struck me as the perfect July sock.... bright and colorful, summery and sunshiney!  It also totally reminds me of autumn, too, and candy corns. I know I'm jumping ahead here, but since fall is my favorite time of year and Halloween is my favorite holiday, I always start to get excited as summer winds down!

I chose a free pattern on Ravelry, as I wanted something simple and lacy but not TOO showy (as I figured anything overly complicated would get lost in the yarn).  I think this combo of pattern and yarn turned out beautifully!

Can you believe this is my SEVENTH pair this year?  Only five more pairs to go before the challenge is complete!

Oh, and I decided to add something new to the project details (featured at the end of this post).  In addition to yarn and needle choice, pattern used, etc., I'm also going to now include what I've been watching or listening to while I knit.  Since I am almost ALWAYS either listening to an audiobook or watching a TV series or movie while I knit, I thought it might be fun to add that detail to my project information!




Yarn:  Candy Skein Yummy Fingering Superwash Sock in Orange Cream Soda

Total Yards:  302 yards

Pattern:  Summer Slice by Cassandra Dominick (available for free on Ravelry)

Start and Finish Dates:  July 13 - 21, 2014

Needles:  Addi Turbo Sock Rockets, size US 3 (I decided to make these on a bigger needle size as my last pair of socks were a bit snug, and I don't like them super snug; I like a little bit of give.  I know this is a Sock-Knitting-No-No, but since they are for me I will knit them how I like them!  #rebel )

Audiobook:  "The Book of Life" by Deborah Harkness, Book 3 in the All Souls Trilogy (stay tuned for my forthcoming book review!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 44: What Would Diana Bishop Drink?

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Voolenvine
Nomadic Yarns
Wooly Wonka …

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 42: Cast It On...Cast It ALL On!

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Brew City Yarns
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Yarn Enabler
The Cozy …