Skip to main content

Weasley Sweater #1

I'm crazy. If there was ever any doubt, let's just clear this up right now: I am bonafide, 100% nutso.

It all started innocently enough.  A few years ago, when I had gotten to the point where I was knitting every day and pumping out a fair number of projects, I decided it would be a cool tradition to knit one handmade item for my children each year as a Christmas present.  Did you read that?  ONE handmade item.  Just ONE.  That was the plan, the original intention.  And the first year, I totally stuck to that, and each of them got a brand new knitted hat from me.

Last year, I was pregnant with my fourth child, and instead of nesting (as in, cleaning and organizing the house), I was CRAFT nesting.  I couldn't stop knitting and crocheting.  Apparently, that is how I nest now!  I ended up making each child a brand new hat AND a set of duplicate stitch mittens.  Still small projects, so no big shakes, right?

Fast forward to now.  I have dedicated pretty much my entire year to knitting Christmas gifts for my kids (with occasional breaks for my sock challenge and charity knitting).  Earlier this year, I was planning a pair of socks, a hat, and a stuffie for each of them.  Then I decided it would be a great year to knit them each a Weasley sweater.  Yeah.  FOUR child-sized sweaters.  In just a few months.

Did I mention I'm crazy?

But really.... if Molly Weasley can do it, and she has WAY more kids than I do, I can do it too, right?  Never mind that she is a fictional character with magic on her side.... that is sooooooo besides the point......  ;)






Well, crazy or not, I guess I'm doing this!  I finished the first sweater on June 17.  I did the duplicate stitch chart myself, since the pattern I used only offered a chart for an "H".  I was really simple and easy to adapt, though.  If you are familiar with duplicate stitch, charts, fair isle, etc., it will be a breeze!

Here is the finished object:

I am deliriously happy with it.  If I was nitpicking (as I tend to do), my only complaints would be that the sleeves might be a smidge too long, and the torso a smidge too short.  This seems to happen with every sweater I make, though... what is up with that?  With the next sweaters I make I am going to be mindful of this, and knit a longer torso and shorter sleeves.  Hopefully that will remedy the situation.  In the meantime, I hope my son sprouts a hobbit's body with gorilla arms so that this fits perfectly!  Haha.  (I'm exaggerating; its not really that bad, and I tried it on his brother and it fits very well.... I'm just a perfectionist at heart!)

PROJECT DETAILS:

Pattern:  The Weasley Sweater by Alison Hansel from the book Charmed Knits

Needles:  Addi Turbo Interchangeables, size US 7

Yarn:  Premier Yarns Serenity Chunky Solids, in Red Ochre and Yellow (Duplicate Stitch)

Yardage:  872 Yards

Crafting Dates:  May 26 - June 17, 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 44: What Would Diana Bishop Drink?

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Voolenvine
Nomadic Yarns
Wooly Wonka …

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 42: Cast It On...Cast It ALL On!

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Brew City Yarns
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Yarn Enabler
The Cozy …