Skip to main content

Teddy Bear

This is a project I finished recently, and it will likely be one of my favorite things that I make all year! 

I should make it clear that I do NOT have a good history with stuffies.  When it comes to knitting them, I'm fairly terrible at it.  I also don't enjoy it, which could be why I'm terrible at it.  I love knitting, but something about the fussiness required to produce a stuffie just stifles my creativity ("stuffies just stifle"... say that ten times fast!).  I pretty much gave up on the idea of creating stuffies with yarn, until...

I discovered crochet!  I don't mind making fussy things with crochet; and in fact I enjoy it!  Still, though, they rarely turn out exactly how I want them to (crooked eyes, uneven limbs), so my enthusiasm was at a measured trickle until I could see how things were going to turn out.

I almost gave up as soon as I started the first ear (which is how the project begins).  The yarn is uber-thick and unforgiving (polyester) and once the stitches are made, the yarn takes on this amorphous texture that prevents you from easily distinguishing stitches.  This is a GOOD thing in the overall scheme of the project, as it gives a nice smooth finish to the bear.  It is bad as you are in the midst of creating it, though, as you have to struggle to find the stitches (only at first, though... as I went along it did get easier).

Thankfully I stuck with it, and I'm so glad I did.  I messed up the paws a bit, and then had to crochet a third arm because the first two I made were of such a vastly different size that no amount of clever sewing could disguise that fact.  A third just had to be made, and so I did it, not wanting to stare at this bear from now until eternity whilst having the annoying though, "those arms just don't look right..."

In the end, I got it finished and I am SHOCKED at how much I love this thing!!!!  Not only does it actually look like what it is supposed to look like (that would be a BEAR, lol!) but I really am proud of how it came out!  Are there minor imperfections here and there?  Sure, but overall, I'm dizzyingly and unapologetically happy with this darling bear.

As you can see, it is currently BIGGER than my daughter, the intended recipient!  No worries, though; it is planned to be a Christmas present, at which point she will be at a developmental stage where teddy bears will be welcome and exciting!  I know I'm sure excited!  :)

Comments

  1. I use this yarn to create baby blankets! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 54: Summer of Socks

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lovesockwool Podcast
Adelaide Cottage
lovesockwool
Jilly, aka veganjilly
Knitting Pipeline
Kimberly, aka Kimberly3706


Outlander KAL:  co-hosted with Joanna of Stitching the High Notes Podcast
The Stitching Plaza
Pandia's Jewels
Three Thimbles Studio
The Handmakers Bag
Twigs and Twine Yarn Co


MISC:

Lolo Did It
Sweet Kawaii Design (my favorite planner sticker shop!)
Erin Condren Design (get $10 off your first order with this li…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 51: Falling Off the "Wagonses"

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns

Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lo…