Skip to main content

Matthew Clairmont's Oxford New College Scarf

In case I have never mentioned it before, I am OBSESSED with a book trilogy by Deborah Harkness.  The first is A Discovery of Witches, the second is Shadow of Night, and the third is The Book of Life (to be released JULY 15!!!!!!!!!!!!).  And now, I shall tell my tale of how I happened upon these magnificent books...

In early 2011, I was reading Parade Magazine, and they had an article about "books to watch out for."  A Discovery of Witches was featured (as it was about to be released), and there was nothing more than a tiny blurb about it.  It doesn't matter how tiny the blurb was, though.  Just seeing the beautiful cover and reading the title, I just KNEW I would have to read this book.  I pre-ordered it on my Kindle, and read it almost as soon as it came out.

No, I DEVOURED it.  I could not put it down, and haven't been that enchanted and entranced by a book in a very long time.  I quickly purchased the hardback and audio versions after I finished it, and so far have read the book eleven times total since then.  The book had such an amazing story, excellent characters, and the PERFECT witchy setting.  There is NOTHING I didn't like about it.  I'd go on, but you can check out my review on Goodreads for all that!


I loved Shadow of Night too, and read it immediately upon its release.  And now, after what seems like an interminable wait, we are just a month away from the release of the FINAL book in the series!!!  I am both saddened and excited, though definitely more of the latter!




To celebrate this occasion, I crocheted a scarf for one of the main characters, an ancient vampire named Matthew Clairmont.  He is spotted wearing a "brown and bone" New College scarf early on in the story, and since I adore his character, I thought it would be a fitting tribute.


The design is modeled after a dear friend of mine, who made her own version of this.  She is a master crocheter and since I am still a novice hooker, I rely very much on inspiration and advice from others.  She did a moss stitch for hers, and I loved the look of it so much I decided to do that as well.  I am SO glad I did, because seriously, this stitch is GORGEOUS!  Here is a close-up of the stitch:
I used Caron Vickie Howell's Sheep(ish) yarn, which I LOVE.  The brown is Espresso(ish), and the white is White(ish).  They complement each other nicely.  I love a fringy scarf, even though I hate making fringe (go figure), so I had to add that.   I'm pretty sure Matthew Clairmont would be super psyched about this scarf. 
And, since this book is supposedly being made into a movie, I cannot resist posting a picture of the actor that I personally think should portray Matthew Clairmont.  Though there is not a person on the planet who fits the exact description of how I see him in my head, I would LOVE to see Henry Cavill play Matthew.  And not just because I have a ginormous crush on him!  I think he would do Matthew justice, and he's tall and brooding and hot.  That's a recipe for a vampire right there!

Still not convinced?  I am telling you this boy can brood....
Are you seeing it?  Have I convinced you?  He's Matthew all the way!!!

I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to ADOW, with even more Henry eye candy.  I am sure the casting agents will do a good job no matter who they choose, but in the meantime, I can hope for Henry!  :)

Comments

  1. You are awesome. :-) I inhaled the first book too, and am almost done with book 2. They are 2 of my favorite ever books. I think I shall copy you and make myself a Matthew scarf. :-)))))))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 54: Summer of Socks

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lovesockwool Podcast
Adelaide Cottage
lovesockwool
Jilly, aka veganjilly
Knitting Pipeline
Kimberly, aka Kimberly3706


Outlander KAL:  co-hosted with Joanna of Stitching the High Notes Podcast
The Stitching Plaza
Pandia's Jewels
Three Thimbles Studio
The Handmakers Bag
Twigs and Twine Yarn Co


MISC:

Lolo Did It
Sweet Kawaii Design (my favorite planner sticker shop!)
Erin Condren Design (get $10 off your first order with this li…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 51: Falling Off the "Wagonses"

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns

Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lo…