Skip to main content

June 2014 Socks: Don't Blink!

Confession:  I've been in a sock rut!  My knitmotions (these are "knitting emotions") have vacillated wildly already this year, and its only six months into the 12-socks-in-2014 challenge.  If you recall, I blogged about wanting to quit in MARCH (didn't last long, did I?).  Thankfully, I toughed it out with simpler socks that didn't eat up too much time.  For three months in a row, I did really basic, no-pattern socks.

And guess what?  I GOT BORED!  Not surprising for someone like me, with the attention span of a hyper 2-week old chihuahua.  Still though, I didn't have any patterns in mind for the June socks, until I randomly one day went pattern browsing on Ravelry (this is NEVER a good idea!).  I entered "Doctor Who" and a plethora of awesome, nerdtastic patterns came up!  (I have tons of them queued.  Prepare for a future onslaught of Doctor-Who-related knits!)

The one that smacked me upside the head and demanded to be knit IMMEDIATELY, however, was the Weeping Angel sock pattern.  And, as if fate wasn't already handing me my June socks on a silver platter, the pattern was FREE.  How wibbly-wobbly, timey-whimey is that?!?!?!  It's like it was meant to be!

It should be noted that the Weeping Angels are my FAVORITE Doctor Who "bad guys", and "Don't Blink" is my FAVORITE Doctor Who episode!  I also love the eps where they reappear, but the first one they are in is just.... there are no words for how much I love it.

So when I saw these socks, it was a done deal.  I had to make them.  Now I actually have some gorgeous gray sock yarn in my stash that would have been perfect for this pattern, but..... did I mention my attention span problems?!?!  See, I had just gotten my May Yarnbox shipment, and it contained this GORGEOUS pastel sock yarn that was so yummy, I had to use it immediately.  (Sidenote:  this is pretty rare for me.  I'm a pretty thrifty yarn shopper, so when I get something really nice, it tends to languish in my stash FOREVER until I find the absolute perfect thing for it).  The fact that this yarn demanded to be knit immediately was unprecedented and, well, I had to go with it!

The pattern was DELIGHTFUL to knit.  I used my gorgeous Doctor Who knitting bags and stitch markers from Slipped Stitch Studios (you know how important it is to match pattern, yarn, and project bags, right?!?!?!).  This project was so addictive that I had a hard time putting it aside when other knitting deadlines threatened to eat up my time.  Still, I was able to churn them out pretty quick considering all the other stuff I had to knit during this time (including a child-sized sweater which will be featured in a future post).

Okay, enough blather!  Here are some photos of the cast-on, process, progress, and the best part:  the FO!!!!!  (I love how the Weeping Angels on my project bag, and the stitch marker, are alternately watching/ not watching my sock progress... hehe!!!!!  Don't worry, I didn't blink the entire time....)  ;)




And here is the picture of the original delicious sock yarn I used (see deets below).  The best part is, this pair of socks only used one skein; so I have one skein left!  WOOT!
PROJECT DETAILS:

YARN:  Cherry Tree Hill Yarn Fingerpaints 100% Merino in Summer Sweet (colorway)

PATTERN:  Weeping Angel by Maire Martin (available for free on Ravelry)

ACCESSORIES:  Timey-Whimey project bag and stitch marker by Slipped Stitch Studios

NEEDLES:  Addi-Turbo Sock Rockets, size US 1

CRAFTING DATES:  June 5 - 22, 2014



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 44: What Would Diana Bishop Drink?

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Voolenvine
Nomadic Yarns
Wooly Wonka …

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 42: Cast It On...Cast It ALL On!

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Brew City Yarns
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Yarn Enabler
The Cozy …