Skip to main content

May 2014 Socks: Start to Finish

I actually finished May's socks in two days, and didn't even think to take a picture of the cast-on.  My family and I have all been battling coughs and colds all week, so I have been in a bit of a fog.  Still knitting and crocheting a lot.... just doing so in a fog!

Nevertheless, May's socks are DONE!  I am really pleased with them.  These are intended as Christmas gifts for my oldest son.  He is a Gryffindor, through and through, and it really helps that he is obsessed with the color RED!  I know he is going to love those, and I can't wait to give them to him (but I will wait... until December!).

I believe this is my third pair created without a pattern, and I am the MOST happy with this pair.  Knitting without a pattern has forced me to work out some of the kinks that inevitably arise.  For example, with the first pair (March 2014 pair), I felt the heel flap was too short.  Now since it was for my middle son, I thought that would be a good thing, until I remembered how integrally connected the length of the heel flap is to the gusset decreases, and you can't have a shapely and appropriate gusset without a heel flap of proper length.

Each time I had gotten to turning the heel, too, I felt really insecure (even though this is my FAVORITE part of knitting socks) and I would grab a knitting tutorial to remind myself exactly how it goes (so I wouldn't mess up).  Well, I messed up anyway, twice (once with the March socks and again with these April socks) and had to rip back and do it again.  FINALLY, though, with these May socks, I didn't need to consult anything and I got it on the first try!  WOOT!!!! 

My goal in knitting patternless socks was to become SO familiar with sock structure that I could start getting creative and coming up with my own stitch patterns.  I feel comfortable enough to do this with hats, and I wanted to have that freedom with socks, as well.  With hats, I can just grab any old yarn and needles and come up with a hat that fits somebody.  I've created some of my own hat patterns too (nothing formally written down; just improvisations done on the fly) and I love that freedom of being able to go pattern-less.  I am hoping by the end of this year I will feel that way with socks, too!

Enough blabber; here are the finished pair of May socks; all hail Gryffindor!
(Note:  The red in this picture looks nauseatingly vibrant; almost hot pink; or maybe its just my computer.  The actual red is much softer and darker than this; anyone familiar with Vanna's Choice will know what I'm talking about!)

MAY 2014 SOCK NOTES:

Yarn:  Vanna's Choice in Cranberry, 1 skein
           Vanna's Choice in Mustard, part of 1 skein (contrast color)

Needles:  Knit Picks Harmony Interchangeables, size 7

Pattern:  None; just a basic sock

Crafting Dates:  May 14-16, 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 44: What Would Diana Bishop Drink?

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Voolenvine
Nomadic Yarns
Wooly Wonka …

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 42: Cast It On...Cast It ALL On!

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Brew City Yarns
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Yarn Enabler
The Cozy …