Skip to main content

Slytherin Penguin Sweater

I knit charity items as often as I can.  A few months ago, I knit a sweater for the Penguin Foundation.  This foundation works to preserve the habitat of these precious little penguins, and I anytime I can combine my love for animals with my knitting addiction, I'm all over it!

....and as if that wasn't enough, I have to go and mix in my Harry Potter obsession as well.  I'm starting to think that my life is just one giant attempt to unify all of my favorite things... make fandoms collide... and I tell ya magic happens when they do!

So right now I'm working on an Inter-House unity challenge at Hogwarts.  The deal is this:  we team up with a pal from another house (can't be someone from our house), and we work on a project together.  Though it doesn't HAVE to be the same project, it can be.  I'm working with one of my Slytherin pals, and she and I decided to celebrate each other's houses whilst also contributing to penguins in need.  I'm crafting a Slytherin-colored penguin sweater, and she is working on a Hufflepuff-colored penguin sweater.

The thought of tiny little penguins romping around in Slytherin and Hufflepuff sweaters brings me joy to no end!  Will the Slytherin-penguin be ambitious?  Eager to explore everything magic and power have to offer, dark or no?  Will the Hufflepuff-penguin work extra hard at doing whatever it is that little penguins do?  Will he or she enter the Tri-Wizard Tournament?  (Sorry, took a little Cedric Diggory tangent there.)

In all reality, these sweaters don't actually get worn by real penguins.  The foundation primarily uses them to dress stuffed toy penguins, which they then sell to raise money for their cause.  This is AOK with me; anything for the animals!  :)  Nevertheless, I can't help but hope that our Harry Potter-clad penguin toys will be sitting innocently in the gift shop when an unsuspecting Harry Potter fan walks by, can't believe that there are actually penguins showing support for Slytherin and Hufflepuff respectively, and they will have no choice but to purchase them on the spot!  Maybe this is a grandiose fantasy, but its awesome nonetheless.

This is the first of three charities I plan to knit for before April is over... and April is already half over?  Crap!  And if you're wondering how my 12-socks-in-2014 challenge is going, all I have to say is, Crap Again! 

I'd better get motoring.  And no, the shawl is still not blocked.  Geez Louise what have I been doing with my time and where is Hermione's time-turner when I need it?!?!?  (Scratch that; I ALWAYS need it!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 44: What Would Diana Bishop Drink?

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Voolenvine
Nomadic Yarns
Wooly Wonka …

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 42: Cast It On...Cast It ALL On!

SHOW NOTES
A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!

Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page


YARNS MENTIONED:

Hedgehog Fibres
A Homespun House
The Lemonade Shop
The Yarn At Home Mom
Brew City Yarns
Knitting In France
Pandia's Jewels
Regia Arne and Carlos
Rainbow Heirloom
Yarn Enabler
The Cozy …