Skip to main content

February's Socks: Start to Finish!

February has been busy!  Between getting ready for Valentine's Day parties for my kids in school, watching the Olympics, and participating in a knitting Olympic-like event (more about that later)... it has been a crazy month!  And, of course, we mustn't forget I've got FOUR KIDS.  Every month is a crazy month!!!

Anyway, because of all the hullabaloo, I didn't get my cast-on pictures posted.  So this month's sock journey will all take place in ONE post.... and who knows, maybe this will become the way I do it every month... you never know with my life!

On February 7, I cast on for this month's socks.  I chose a yarn that has been in my stash for years, and I always thought it was too pretty to use unless I found the "perfect" project.  We all know, though, that there is no such thing as a perfect project, and I've vowed to use my pretty yarns in the here and now so that they don't languish in my stash forever!  I also liked this yarn for February's socks because the colors reminded me of sweet valentines.
I cast on while watching the opening ceremonies of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.  I have always loved watching the Olympics!  This year I participated in an Olympic-inspired, Harry-Potter-themed event called the "Triwizard Quidpics".  If the Triwizard Tournament, Quidditch, and the Olympics were all mashed up into one uber-awesome event, this would be it!  There were many different medal-winning opportunities, but I was mainly focused on finishing my socks.  With the new baby, I don't get as much knitting time as I did before, so I knew realistically I would probably only be able to finish one project.... or maybe two.

Initially I had planned to use Stephanie Pearl McPhee's simple sock recipe as found in her book "Knitting Rules."  I like using variegated and/ or self-striping yarns and just making a simple sock out of them.  It lets the beautiful yarn speak for itself, and it provides me with some calming, mindless knitting.  A friend of mine (also competing in the Triwizard Quidpics), however, mentioned that she was knitting a pattern called "Hermione's Everyday Socks."  This pattern has been in my Ravelry queue forever, and I had totally forgotten about it!  I decided to give it a go, and I'm so glad I did!  So even though I had gotten past the cuff, I frogged the whole thing and started anew.  The pattern is simple enough to memorize easily, but requires just enough attention to keep my interest. 
Before I knew it, the first sock was done:
And then, the flu hit.  My second child got it first, and it was awful.  I have never seen him this sick before; he literally threw up everything that passed his lips whether it was a mere sip of water or a few bites of oatmeal.  For two days he threw up everything he ate and drank, and battled a fever.  As parents out there know, it is awful having your child be so sick and knowing you can't do anything to help but be there for them.  By the third day he was no longer vomiting and his fever finally broke.  My immediate impulse was to get him eating as much as possible, but he was still rather queasy and not super interested in food yet.  It took another couple of days for his appetite to fully return.  I am very happy to report that he is completely recovered and eating normally once again!

Over the weekend, we were celebrating my husband's birthday when he suddenly came down with his own violent version of the flu.  The only other time I have seen my husband that sick was when he contracted food poisoning years ago.  Like my son, he was unable to keep down any food or fluids for a couple of days, and it also took him a few days to gain back his appetite.

I suspect our infant got a very mild version of this sickness, but it seemed to pass quickly and did not have the awful symptoms that her brother and father had.  By some miracle my other two kids and myself were spared... nevertheless, it was tough for the entire household!

With all of the caretaking and falling behind on laundry and dishes, knitting fell to the backburner and I was pretty behind on my socks.  I didn't think I would be able to finish them in time to win a medal in the Triwizard Quidpics, but by golly I gave it my all in the last two days of competition!  I finished just under the deadline and indeed earned a medal (plus two more for some crocheted hearts I made for Valentine's Day!).

These socks were super fun to knit.  The yarn is gorgeous, and the pattern was so enjoyable.  Best of all, I loved watching the Olympics while knitting... especially my favorite sport, the figure skating!  I was so excited to see American Ice Dance champs Meryl Davis and Charlie White win their gold medal... they were impeccable!  It was also great to see the snowboarding competitions.  I love the Olympics!

And now I'm already looking ahead to the pair of socks I will knit for March.  The first two pairs of the year have been for me, but I think the next pair will be a gift.... more on that in my cast-on post (if there is one, lol!).

February Sock Stats:
Three Irish Girls Yarn
Addi Turbo Sock Rockets Needles  (size 1, US)
Hermione's Everyday Socks (pattern available for free on Ravelry)
Project bag by madbird
February 7-23, 2014


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 54: Summer of Socks

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lovesockwool Podcast
Adelaide Cottage
lovesockwool
Jilly, aka veganjilly
Knitting Pipeline
Kimberly, aka Kimberly3706


Outlander KAL:  co-hosted with Joanna of Stitching the High Notes Podcast
The Stitching Plaza
Pandia's Jewels
Three Thimbles Studio
The Handmakers Bag
Twigs and Twine Yarn Co


MISC:

Lolo Did It
Sweet Kawaii Design (my favorite planner sticker shop!)
Erin Condren Design (get $10 off your first order with this li…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 51: Falling Off the "Wagonses"

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns

Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lo…