Skip to main content

12 Socks in 2014

Its a new year, and time for new knitting/ crochet/ crafting goals!  This year I'm admittedly being a bit conservative, as last year I made so many knitting goals, and I don't think I achieved that many.... if any at all.  Some of the goals I chose I didn't truly want, though, so this year I decided to keep it simple.  I am really only choosing ONE goal, and I'm making it something I REALLY want!  Let's face it, with a new baby due to arrive at any moment and everything that goes along with that, its not like I'm going to have crazy amounts of free time.  Sometimes being realistic is the kindest thing you can do for yourself!

SO!!!  I LOVE knitting socks; in fact it is one of my favorite things to knit, if not THE favorite.  Shockingly, though, for something that I enjoy knitting so much, I don't knit them that often.  I knit one adult pair in 2013, and one baby pair.  THAT'S IT.  I managed to knit a million hats, but only TWO pairs of socks?!?!  Really?  So yeah, shocking.

Sometimes all you have to do is look at your yarn stash (or your pattern queue!) to find out what you really LOVE knitting.  My yarn stash is FULL of sock yarn.  I LOVE sock yarn.  When I go to the yarn store just to browse, I look at SOCK YARN.  When I cruise Etsy looking for beautiful hand-dyes, I search for SOCK YARN.  And my yarn stash has so many beautiful skeins of it; some of which I have literally had for years.  Why on earth am I not spending my time knitting what I love with a yarn I love?!

Enter 2014:  THE YEAR OF THE SOCK!!!  My knitting resolution this year is to knit up 12 pairs of socks in 2014; that's one pair per month.  Thankfully I'm not the only one who has resolved to do this in 2014, and there is a whole group on Ravelry just for us!  (Gotta love Ravelry!)  I've also found others in a knitting group on Facebook who are up to the same mischief, and will be checking on Instagram, too!  The only thing better than knitting 12 pairs of socks in 2014 will be knitting 12 pairs of socks in 2014 with a bunch of other crazed sock knitters!  :)

For January's socks, I chose a skein of yarn purchased from Pandia's Jewels called "Team Hufflepuff."  I bought it awhile back because I will pretty much buy anything that has anything to do with Harry Potter, and especially Hufflepuff House!  Also, in another Ravelry group I'm in (that is Harry Potter-themed), we in Hufflepuff house are having a January sock KAL.  This seemed like the ideal yarn choice, of course!

The pattern I'm working with is called "Owlie Socks" by Julie Elswick Suchomel.  Clever little cables produce owl-like figures throughout the sock, and so far I'm loving the results.  This pattern has an option for including beads (for the owl eyes), but since I didn't have any on-hand I decided to forgo those this time.

On December 31, I gathered my supplies!  I got the Hufflepuff project bag from Slipped Stitch Studios, and I'm using Addi Turbo sock rockets for the second time (I prefer the magic loop method for socks).

 On January 1, I cast on:
Yesterday I completed the leg portion, and this evening I did most of the heel flap:
If I can keep my eyes open any longer tonight I may start turning the heel, or save that for tomorrow.  Like many other sock knitters, turning the heel is my FAVORITE part!!!

Thus begins the first pair of socks that I hope to finish in 2014.  Wish me luck... and lots of knitting time!

Comments

  1. Hi Jilly! You're so right about looking at your stash and pattern queue to see what you love to make. For me it's cotton dishcloths and afghans out of yummy yarn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 54: Summer of Socks

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lovesockwool Podcast
Adelaide Cottage
lovesockwool
Jilly, aka veganjilly
Knitting Pipeline
Kimberly, aka Kimberly3706


Outlander KAL:  co-hosted with Joanna of Stitching the High Notes Podcast
The Stitching Plaza
Pandia's Jewels
Three Thimbles Studio
The Handmakers Bag
Twigs and Twine Yarn Co


MISC:

Lolo Did It
Sweet Kawaii Design (my favorite planner sticker shop!)
Erin Condren Design (get $10 off your first order with this li…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 51: Falling Off the "Wagonses"

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns

Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lo…