Skip to main content

Best-Laid Christmas Knitting Plans

Let the holiday knitting tornado continue!  I'm actually doing pretty well, and fairly on-schedule.  Well, saying that I'm fairly "on-schedule" implies that I HAD a schedule and I really didn't.  Despite the disasters of previous years, I decided to wing it yet again and hopefully next year I'll learn that is NEVER a good idea!

Back in September I chose my holiday knitting projects.  I wanted to take it rather easy, since I'm expecting baby #4 pretty much any day now, and I knew I'd be busy with baby preparations, not to mention everything that goes into creating a nice Christmas for the family. 

I had originally planned to make the following:

  • 3 monster hats, one for each of my kids
  • 6 mini-Weasley sweater ornaments (one for each member of the family and the baby-to-be)
  • a hat for my husband
  • 3 pairs of mittens, one for each child

That was IT.  Pretty simple, right?  And considering the fact that I was starting in September, I knew I had more than enough time to get such a small list done.  In fact, I had SO much time, that I was doing a ton of knitting OUTSIDE of this list.  I made stuff for the baby, I knit many hats and pairs of mittens for charity (along with other items), and misc. things that struck my fancy (including a pair of socks for myself... hehe!).

I finished the first monster hat in September:





Then the next two were finished up in November:





With that done, I set to work on the mittens, and so far have two pairs finished:


The third pair is done except for the duplicate stitch, which I am currently working on.  As for the mini-Weasley sweater ornaments, I have 3 of 6 completed (will post pics of those later).





Somewhere in the midst of all of this accomplishment, though, I think I got kind of cocky.  And all of a sudden I started adding things to my list.  I went shopping for Christmas gifts for my nieces and nephews, and realized it would be so much better if I just knit them hats instead.  So I did:

Next, I realized my brother could use a nice new hat as well (his birthday is close to Christmas), so I crafted him a hat:

And here I am, a mere TEN DAYS away from Christmas, and I find that my gift knitting list has grown so much that I still have 3 cowls, 2 hats, and a pair of fingerless gloves to finish (not to mention the duplicate stitch on my son's mittens, or the final 3 mini-Weasley sweater ornaments).  So much for my grandiose idea of having a nice laid-back, relaxing holiday knitting season!  (Seriously.  Back in September I imagined myself lounging on the couch, leisurely knitting another sweater for the baby, all of my Christmas knitting long since finished, laughing at the poor fools who had waited at the last minute to finish up their holiday knitting.  Little did I know that I would be that poor fool, eating humble pie and knitting as fast as I possibly can!)

Call me an eternal optimist, but I've already figured out a way to avoid this next year.  My plan is to create a SPREADSHEET!  YES!!!!  Isn't that brilliant?  I'm pretty sure that anything that appears on a spreadsheet not only has to come to pass, but it has to happen in the way dictated BY the spreadsheet.  Spreadsheets are like organizational gospel, right?  They simply MUST be obeyed.  I just know if I create a spreadsheet with a realistic list of recipients and the gifts I want to knit them (and of course I will be starting this list next month in January, or in February at the latest), I will have the whole rest of the year to plan and craft the items that will be gifted.  That way, when Christmas rolls around, I really will be sitting on the couch, leisurely knitting a jumper for my soon-to-be 1-year old baby, laughing at all the poor fools who waited until the last minute to finish up their holiday crafting!  ;)

Hey, it could happen!  Christmas miracle, anyone?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 53: Hippo Hysteria

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 54: Summer of Socks

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns
The Yarn Parlor


Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lovesockwool Podcast
Adelaide Cottage
lovesockwool
Jilly, aka veganjilly
Knitting Pipeline
Kimberly, aka Kimberly3706


Outlander KAL:  co-hosted with Joanna of Stitching the High Notes Podcast
The Stitching Plaza
Pandia's Jewels
Three Thimbles Studio
The Handmakers Bag
Twigs and Twine Yarn Co


MISC:

Lolo Did It
Sweet Kawaii Design (my favorite planner sticker shop!)
Erin Condren Design (get $10 off your first order with this li…

The Knitting Broomstick: EPISODE 51: Falling Off the "Wagonses"

A very big THANK YOU to all of my wonderful and extremely generous prize sponsors, donors, and patrons!  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

If you are interested in helping the podcast, you can donate through the donation button on this page (on the right hand side) or if you would like to become a patron of the podcast, feel free to check out my Patreon account which can be found at:  http://www.patreon.com/veganjilly

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any episodes!

Also check out the Ravelry group for all the latest KCALs, Fandom Alongs, Giveaways, and delightful conversation!



Other places to find me online at Ravelry, Ello, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, Periscope, Peach, etc. as @veganjilly ; find me on Facebook at  The Knitting Broomstick Facebook Page

SHOW NOTES: 

CURRENT PRIZE SPONSORS:

13 Months of Magic KAL:
JavaPurl Designs
Lou, aka TheVFB
With Pointed Sticks
Wild Happy Color
Mint Rain Hand Dyed Yarns

Anne of Green Gables KAL:  co-hosted with Sara of the lo…